Sunday, April 22, 2012

PART D - Findings and Implications


This week, I was not able to put as much work into the WPP project as I had planned.  I did take some advice from my research, and used a screencast to answer a specific question from one of my co-workers.  She had been scanning multiple page documents using her printer, but when she saved them, she was making a separate file for each page.  I was able to solve this problem for her very efficiently by making a quick screencast and walking through the steps. This whole process only took me a little while longer than writing out the steps, and the real advantage was that I was able to do the screencast using her computer. Often, I have had trouble with my instructions, even ones that include screenshots and other images, because not everyone's computer desktop looks like mine.  Also, even though we may be using the same programs to complete tasks, sometimes I forget when I've changed my settings already, so what is going on in my process might not be the same as someone else.  I got to work a few minutes early, logged on to her computer, and recorded the screen as I walked through the process.  Altogether, it took me maybe 15 minutes, and later that same day she was performing the task correctly.  We didn't have to schedule time to sit down, I didn't have to re-explain anything that wasn't clear in writing, and everyone was pleased with the results.

The verbal feedback I've been getting around the office is very encouraging.  I think people have probably been waiting for me to do something like this for awhile, and they are thankful that I'm finally getting around to it.  I also dug into some of the features of the Google form I initially sent out, and got a really nice readout summarizing the results of the original survey.  This will serve to provide me with direction for the rest of the project.

I did notice that there were quite a few employees that did not respond to the survey.  I think there are probably at least a few who don't even use the company email addresses.  Since the survey was anonymous, I'm not sure who's who, so I plan on sending out a one-question survey asking people to write in their names in order to figure out who I need to remind.  It is totally possible that there are a few that don't even know they have email addresses,  Ninety percent of our employees are part-time, some working for us as little as six hours a week, so who can blame them.

So, next steps are

  1. Make sure that everyone is on board and knows what resources are out there (survey)
  2. Add some links to outside resources (specifically, there were a good number of responders who wanted to learn more about Microsoft Word)
  3. Add content to the web page
  4. Reaction survey for the email screencast

No comments:

Post a Comment