Friday, November 25, 2011

Creative Commons

I've recently been working on a series of problems involving hot air balloons with a student.  He has an uncle who is an enthusiast, and it seemed like a good way to hook him in to the subject matter.  This is an image of a couple of hot air balloons I found on Creative Commons.

 
Photo Attribution:

 Original Image: "Weezie's Birthday Ballooning"
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardgiles/3613705218/
Released under an Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0) license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/deed.en

The most common way I use images in my teaching is to make sure the students know what I'm talking about, especially when the material we're covering references something outside of everyday life.  I work with some students who have gotten used to hiding the fact that they don't understand what is going on in class.  I got caught dealing with this lack of understanding a few times when I started working with these students, so now I find it helpful to illustrate situations with images on the front end.  It helps alleviate some of the potential embarrassment, and can spark interesting discussions.

Here's a photo of a strange flower from the Democratic Republic of Congo that I took when I visited my parents there a few years ago.


From congo

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like we face similar challenges with our students. Mine are avid "hitch hikers" they let the more vocal ones answer all the questions, while they hide out silently in the back of the pack. They soon quickly discover that Mrs. W calls on people who do not have their hand raised=8-) Sometimes the name sticks come out - and participants are selected that way. I agree, some concepts are best taught through images. It gives students a visual to hold onto while they are working to understand the concept. Beautiful flower! How long were your parents living in the Congo?

    ReplyDelete