Friday, November 4, 2011

Getting Things Done

Well, this assignment came at a great time for me.  I’ve been trying to get myself organized recently, and GTD was helpful in kick-starting that process.  It may be a little old-fashioned for this group, but I decided to use a spreadsheet on Google Docs to organize all of my information.  I chose a spreadsheet because I’m very familiar with them from my job, and I like being able to move cells of information around quickly.  I can also assign numerical values, then use spreadsheet functions to put things in order.  

To organize things, I basically created a separate sheet for each of the five processes:

1. Collect: The first sheet is simply an information dump.  I check in here when I only have a couple of minutes and have something on my mind.  If I can’t get to a computer, I’ll jot something down on a piece of paper until I can get it onto the sheet.  As I process and organize, I move  these tasks out in the next two phases.  Since this is the first thing I see when opening the spreadsheet, it helps me keep on top of being organized.  Goal: an empty front page whenever I close the file.

2. Process:  When I move tasks to the second sheet, I try to clarify what I want to get done if it isn’t already clear.  This helps me to differentiate between actionable items, which move on to the next step, and non-actionable items, which hang out here for further consideration.

3. Organize: I’ve set up this sheet as a sort of agenda-style calendar, where I can plug in tasks according to when they need to be done, and when I’ll have time to do them.  I copy long term or ongoing tasks in every day to remind myself that they’re on the horizon.

4. Review: I do a daily review process in the “organize” sheet by striking through completed tasks that I can forget about or adding notes to a task that has some further action.  If I didn’t get to something, I’ll place it in the next day with appropriate priority.  I try to commit five minutes at the beginning and end of each day for this process.  In the review sheet, I will do weekly summaries and reflections to see where things are in the big picture, and refine my work flow processes.

5. Do: Most of the “Doing” of things takes place throughout the processes above (I love striking through a task and being able to forget about it).  I’ve decided to use this sheet as a journal of the whole process.  So far, it’s been helpful as a place to drop little reminders of things  I know but sometimes forget to put into practice (“Don’t try to do difficult, involved tasks or deal with delicate personal situations after a long day of work”).


I think I will continue some form of this process.  For the short time I’ve been using it, I’ve noticed that I feel more organized and relaxed now that I have everything in one place.  I think the reflective aspects of this system will be valuable in helping to clear out the cobwebs in my working processes and streamline my agenda.  Another thing I can already see, or feel, happening is that I am gaining some clarity and precision about long term goals (horizons and focus).  Mapping my personal tasks with my professional and academic tasks helps me to put things in perspective and think about where all this is heading.  This is especially valuable to me as I think about making a career change in the next year.

1 comment:

  1. The beautiful thing about this process, is that you can use type of technology - including pencil and paper to work through the process. You can even jump a copy of your Workbook to a Flash drive and carry it with you=8-) I LOVED the numerical values idea - going to have try it out the next time I tackle (read: revise and edit) the items on my "to-do" list. If you are interested in picking up additional strategies you might be interested in subscribing to David Allen's Productive Living newsletter: http://www.davidco.com/individuals/productive-living-newsletter. One of the helpful tips I picked up this past fall is called the "in box concept". I found this strategy helpful, especially when I'm working at my desk and one of my support staff members stops by for a chat. I physically place whatever I was working on, in my in-box - picking off where I left off before they entered my classroom for a chat. This has really helped me complete tasks, rather than put whatever I was working on aside, and work on the concern they brought to my attention. That goes in the "in-box" for future consideration. You can even follow him on Twitter=8-)

    ReplyDelete